Thursday 29 November 2012

Brilliantly Bonkers

So, it was my birthday a couple of days ago, and while I can't say my new age without inserting an expletive between digits, I had a great time. (Even if the final part of Breaking Dawn was a somewhat disappointing experience. Michael Sheen's ridiculous giggle is still echoing in my head.)

One of my pressies was Katzenjammer's Le Pop album, which I discovered on my beloved Spotify and have been playing obsessively ever since. And when I say obsessively, I mean it's on my stereo when I get up in the morning, I carry the CD downstairs so I can play it in the kitchen while I'm making breakfast, and keep my MP3 player to hand at all other times during the day. It is awesome.

There are other words to describe it. "Insane" would be one. Theatrical, Original, Energetic, Addictive. These are some talented Norwegians.


Is it folk? Is it Klezmer? All I know is that it's impossible to listen to without jigging about a bit. And underneath all the craziness, they actually have beautiful voices.


 
This video cuts off before the end of the song, but you get the gist. I can't help feeling that this video should be part of a longer movie, one in which the oddly disconcerting characters on stage would flit between worlds via a magic portal. Kind of Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus style.

I do like a good fantastical story, and while Hollywood generally prefers to stick to the tried-and-tested (Hobbits, Narnians, Hitchhikers) there are some amazing brain-twisting novels out there. I'd highly recommend Scarlett Thomas – starting with The End of Mr Y. Magic ahoy! Which makes it the perfect literary accompaniment to a band who style themselves after cartoon characters, play countless different instruments and laugh in the face of manufactured pop. Hurrah for them!

No comments:

Post a Comment